- What we do
- Who we are
- News & blogs
© 2023 Connell Contractors. All Rights Reserved. Website by HGB Strategic Marketing - Design & Digital
The new substation in Hobsonville Point is set amongst new urban housing development and is Connells first project with Vector as the main contractor.
The site has been backfilled over the years and the spoil has been replaced with Terefil 500 – a lightweight concrete grout. This was then covered with a bentonite waterproofing blanket and sealed with site concrete.
This soil improvement system is the result of a collaboration between Vector and Watercare to future proof Watercare’s upcoming North West interceptor project which is planned to run through Vector’s site.
The site has been challenging with up to four metre deep excavations in weak soils. In addition, existing fibre optic cables were located running through the main building footprint.
To help the substation blend in with surrounding homes, the walls of the new switch room include some architectural panels that show a weatherboard effect.
The contract period for this project was set for eight months.
By September 2018 this project was nearing completion with a handover date scheduled for late-October. Despite the initial challenges of the Terefil soil improvement works, the project will be delivered on time and on budget.
Completed works included:
– Transformer building Superstructure completed including decorative aluminium panels and painting
– 2 x Transformers have been installed within the Transformer building
– Aluminium ventilation louvres have been installed
– Electrical fit out and HVAC nearly completed
– Storm and wastewater drainage completed
– Switchgear Building almost completed to receive switchgear
– Access road and footpaths are underway
– Cable ducts installed to main road
– Battery bank foundation complete with Acoustic walls installed
– Landscaping is underway
This high-profile project has been designed to blend in with the high density residential housing surrounding the new substation.
The new Switchgear and Transformer Building was officially handed over to Vector on October 26, 2018. Management from Vector, RCP, Jacobs and Connell Contractors all attended site to acknowledge the completion of a project that was delivered on time and budget.
Connell Directors Dave Connell and Lester Foxall, opened the speeches with Chris Penney, Vectors Project Manager responding by summing up the success of the two new buildings at Hobsonville point.