Kinleith Substation Redevelopment
Kinleith Substation is located near the town of Tokoroa in the South Waikato region of the North Island. The Project objective is to reconfigure and rebuild the Kinleith substation, which supplies power, via Powerco (the local distribution company), to a pulp and paper mill owned by Oji Fibre Solutions (Oji) and the distribution network around Tokoroa.
Most of the primary equipment at Kinleith is programmed for replacement in the next 10 years with much of the equipment in poor condition and /or at risk of failure. The total works are to be planned and completed by June 2020.
Scope of Works (Civil)
The proposed expansion of Kinleith Substation involves an extension of the switchyard within the currentsite boundaries. The work is summarised as follows:
- Construction of 4no 110/33 kV & transformer foundation pads and firewalls.
- Construction of 20no DCB Pads/ CT/VT Foundation pads.
- Install 10no Precast ODJB’s.
- Installation of a new 11kV switchroom building comprising monolithic pad, Tilt panel walls, mezzanine floor and Kingspan roof panels.
- Strengthening of existing cable tunnel walls.
- Demolition of existing Transformer plinths, Foundation pads, Traverser track and retaining wall.
- Oil interceptor and stormwater drainage.
- Install precast concrete cable troughs and FRP lids.
- Cable trenches.
- Security fencing and retaining walls.
Start date is March 2018 with a Contract period of two years.
The Project objective is to reconfigure and rebuild the Kinleith substation to achieve the following: Excellence in safety - achieve no Lost Time Injury; work completed in accordance with design; achieve a high level of planning of the Works, including outages required to complete the Works; ensure coordination with Powerco / Oji in relation to testing and commissioning activities; a secure customer supply while assets are replaced.