Kinleith Substation Redevelopment
Kinleith Substation is located near the town of Tokoroa in the South Waikato region of the North Island. The Project objective is to reconfigure and rebuild the Kinleith substation, which supplies power, via Powerco (the local distribution company), to a pulp and paper mill owned by Oji Fibre Solutions (Oji) and the distribution network around Tokoroa.
Most of the primary equipment at Kinleith is programmed for replacement in the next 10 years with much of the equipment in poor condition and /or at risk of failure. The total works are to be planned and completed by June 2020.
Scope of Works (Civil)
The proposed expansion of Kinleith Substation involves an extension of the switchyard within the currentsite boundaries. The work is summarised as follows:
- Construction of 4no 110/33 kV & transformer foundation pads and firewalls.
- Construction of 20no DCB Pads/ CT/VT Foundation pads.
- Install 10no Precast ODJB’s.
- Installation of a new 11kV switchroom building comprising monolithic pad, Tilt panel walls, mezzanine floor and Kingspan roof panels.
- Strengthening of existing cable tunnel walls.
- Demolition of existing Transformer plinths, Foundation pads, Traverser track and retaining wall.
- Oil interceptor and stormwater drainage.
- Install precast concrete cable troughs and FRP lids.
- Cable trenches.
- Security fencing and retaining walls.
Great progress has been made to date on this two year project.
With three separate work faces operating concurrently to meet the stringent timeframes, the crews have been working tirelessly.
To date, the ODID foundation slab has been completed ready to receive the 55no precast tilt panels. T9, the first of the four transformer foundation pads, has been poured and the 8 metre high firewalls will be installed in June 2018. Bay 280 area foundation pads have been poured, allowing broadspectrum access to extend the existing gantry.
Consistent levels of rhyolite rock were encountered, together with many unidentified live cables, during installation of the precast concrete troughs. Dan Connolly and his team worked diligently and professionally in avoiding all of these challenges - a truly magnificent effort.
The existing security fence has been removed, retaining walls and pads demolished, to make way for new structures.
The Project objective is to reconfigure and rebuild the Kinleith substation to achieve the following: Excellence in safety - achieve no Lost Time Injury; work completed in accordance with design; achieve a high level of planning of the Works, including outages required to complete the Works; ensure coordination with Powerco / Oji in relation to testing and commissioning activities; a secure customer supply while assets are replaced.